Tuesday, October 8, 2013

ADVANCED ACTIVITIES (Advanced) (EXERCISE A3E7)













1. Choose the most suitable words underlined.

(A)  Jim completely fell for my joke / story.
(B)  The conversation / meeting didn’t break up until late.
(C)  It seems that we’ve come up against rather a tricky idea/problem.
(D)  It must be getting on for six o’clock / extremely well.
(E)   The witness’s evidence bore out what Peter had said / as Peter said.
(F)   When David started speaking everyone fell about in laugher / laughing.
(G)  I really should get down to my homework / the weather.
(H)  Unfortunately my plan / suggestion didn’t quite come off.

2. Put one of the phrasal verbs in the box into the sentences below.


   come off     (take place successfully)             comes out   ( appear)   
   carried out  ( complete a plan)                       dropping off     (falling asleep)
   get over  (be surprised)                                  gets me  down  ( feel depressed)


(A)  When I give an order I expect it to be _____________________.
(B)  Getting up early really _____________________.
(C)  It was a good idea, but I’m afraid it didn’t quite _________________.
(D)  Terry’s new book _______________ next week.
(E)   Just as I was ________________, there was a knock at the door.
(F)   I was so surprised when Harry got his job, I couldn’t ______________ it.

3. Rewrite each sentence, beginning as shown, so that the meaning stays the same.

(A)  I’m doing more work than I bargained for.
I didn’t expect __________________________________________________.
(B)  The sooner the job is done the better.
Let’s ________________________________________________.
(C)  I burst into tears when I heard the bad news.
I broke ______________________________________________.
 (D) The best solution was thought of by Sally.
       Sally came __________________________________.

4. Look at the following phrasal verbs and their explanations.
     Which ones do you already use?

(A)  Add up (make sense).   His evidence didn’t add up.
(B)  Ask after (inquire about).  Jim was asking after you.
(C)  Back down (yield in an argument).  Sam was right, so Paul had to back down.
(D)  Bargain on (take into account).  We hadn’t bargained on there being so much traffic.
(E)   Break down (lose control of the emotions).  David broke down and cried when he heard the news.
(F)   Break up (come to an end). The party finally broke up at 3.00 am.
(G)  Bring up  (mention). I feel I should bring up another small matter.
(H)  Catch on  (become popular).  This new hairstyle is beginning to catch on.


Answers:

(A)  Jim completely fell for my story.
(B)  The meeting didn’t break up until late.
(C)  It seems that we’ve come up against rather a tricky problem.
(D)  It must be getting on for six o’clock.
(E)   The witness’s evidence bore out what Peter had said.
(F)   When David started speaking everyone fell about in laugher.
(G)  I really should get down to my homework.
(H)  Unfortunately my plan didn’t quite come off.

2. Put one of the phrasal verbs in the box into the sentences below.


   come off     (take place successfully)             comes out   ( appear)   
   carried out  ( complete a plan)                       dropping off     (falling asleep)
   get over  (be surprised)                                  gets me  down  ( feel depressed)


(A)  When I give an order I expect it to be carried out.
(B) Getting up early really gets me  down.
(B)  It was a good idea, but I’m afraid it didn’t quite come off.
(C)  Terry’s new book comes out next week.
(D)  Just as I was dropping off , there was a knock at the door.
(E)   I was so surprised when Harry got his job, I couldn’t get over it.

3. Rewrite each sentence, beginning as shown, so that the meaning stays the same.

(A)  I’m doing more work than I bargained for.
I didn’t expect to have to do so much work.
(B)  The sooner the job is done the better.
Let’s get the job done as soon as possible.
(C)  I burst into tears when I heard the bad news.
I broke down when I heard the bad news.
 (D) The best solution was thought of by Sally.
       Sally came up with the best solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment