Thursday, January 16, 2014

PREFIXES OUT + SET (Advanced) (EXERCISE A19E68)

















1. The prefix “out -” can be added to some verbs to give the idea of ‘more than’ or ‘to     a greater degree than’. Choose some of the verbs below to fit the sentences which     follow:


do        maneuver        stay         class         number         weigh         live         shine     wit


(A)  Look, are you sure your parents won’t mind spending another day here? I don’t want to out
       __________________ my welcome.
(B)  He foolishly hoped to out ________________ the police by changing his address every few
       weeks but they caught up with him in time.
(C)  I did my best in the pentathlon but, to be honest, I was hopelessly out ______________.
(D)  Your safely is a consideration which out _________________ all the others in my mind.
(E)   He was out _________________ in his attempts to gain control of the company by the other major shareholders.
(F)   One performance in the play out ________________ all the rest and I’d say the actress concerned had a promising future ahead of her.
(G)  Opponents of the motion out _______________ those in favor by 2 to 1 when the vote was taken.
(H)  She out ______________ her brothers and sisters by more than twenty years.
(I)     Seeing all the dollar notes in the collection box, and not wanting to be out _______________
he put in a check for $10.00.

2. Using the prefix ‘set’ choose the appropriate word from the box below to compete     the  phrasal verbs.

  
off      out     off       out        in        off         up       on        about        out  
 

     (A) It looks as if the rain has   set ________ for the rest of the day.
     (B) If you could set ___________ your specific proposals in a letter, we will give them our
           attention.
     (C) Don’t you dare come near my house or I’ll set the dog ____________ you!
     (D) Could you give me some advice, please? I’d like to know how to go ________________
            claiming a tax allowance.
     (E) If we set _____________ at dawn, we should reach the coast by midday.
     (F) The whole family set ______________ energetically and by the end of the morning most of
            the weeds had been cleared from the garden.
     (G) It was just the funny way he spoke which set me ________________ laughing. I couldn’t
            help it.
     (H) The government has set ___________ a scheme to help small businesses with advice.
      (I)  Don’t set _________ any fireworks too near to the house, will you?
      (J)  He originally set ___________ to beat the land speed record, but weather conditions were
            unfavorable.


  ANSWERS

1. The prefix “out -” can be added to some verbs to give the idea of ‘more than’ or ‘to     a greater degree than’. Choose some of the verbs below to fit the sentences which     follow:


do        maneuver        stay         class         number         weigh         live         shine     wit


(A)  Look, are you sure your parents won’t mind spending another day here? I don’t want to out
       stay my welcome.
(B)  He foolishly hoped to out wit the police by changing his address every few
       weeks but they caught up with him in time.
(C)  I did my best in the pentathlon but, to be honest, I was hopelessly out classed.
(D)  Your safely is a consideration which out weighs all the others in my mind.
(E)   He was out maneuvered in his attempts to gain control of the company by the other major shareholders.
(F)   One performance in the play out shone all the rest and I’d say the actress concerned had a promising future ahead of her.
(G)  Opponents of the motion out numbered those in favor by 2 to 1 when the vote was taken.
(H)  She out lived her brothers and sisters by more than twenty years.
(I)     Seeing all the dollar notes in the collection box, and not wanting to be out done
he put in a check for $10.00.

2. Using the prefix ‘set’ choose the appropriate word from the box below to compete     the phrasal verbs.

  
off      out     off       out        in        off         up       on        about        out  
 

     (A) It looks as if the rain has   set in for the rest of the day.
     (B) If you could set out your specific proposals in a letter, we will give them our
           attention.
     (C) Don’t you dare come near my house or I’ll set the dog on you!
     (D) Could you give me some advice, please? I’d like to know how to go about
            claiming a tax allowance.
     (E) If we set out at dawn, we should reach the coast by midday.
     (F) The whole family set off energetically and by the end of the morning most of
            the weeds had been cleared from the garden.
     (G) It was just the funny way he spoke which set me off laughing. I couldn’t
            help it.
     (H) The government has set up a scheme to help small businesses with advice.
      (I)  Don’t set off any fireworks too near to the house, will you?
      (J)  He originally set out to beat the land speed record, but weather conditions were
            unfavorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment