Wednesday, February 5, 2014

IS THAT AN INVITATION? (Basic) (EXERCISE B31E77)







 

In Canada and the United States, people enjoy entertaining at home. They often invite friends over for a meal, a party, or just for coffee and conversation. Here are the kinds of things people say when they invite someone to their home:
       
“Would you like to come over for dinner on Friday? We  
  would love to have you.”

   “We are having a party on Saturday night. Can you   
     come?”

To reply to an invitation, either say thank you and accept, or say you’re sorry and give an excuse:

        “Thanks, I would love to. What time would you like me to come?”
        “I am sorry. I am planning to travel in the weekend.”

Sometimes, however, people use expressions that sound like invitations but which are not real:

        “Please come over for a drink sometime.”
        “Let’s get together for lunch soon.”
        “Why don’t you come over and see us sometime soon?”

These are really just polite ways of ending a conversation. They are not real invitations because they don’t mention a specific time or date. They just show that the person is trying to be friendly. To reply to expressions like these, people just say: “Sure, that would be great!” or “OK, yes, thanks.”

When you hear something that sounds like an invitation, listen carefully. Is it a real invitation or is the person just being friendly?

1.    In the following sentences, is the person speaking, making an invitation or just being friendly? 

(A) Let’s go out sometime.                                                             …………………..
(B) How about coming over to watch a D.V.D. on Saturday?  …………………..
(C) We will have to get together real soon.                                 …………………..
(D) Please stop by my house anytime.                                         …………………..
(E) It’s my birthday on Sunday. Would you like to come to
      my party? It would be great if you could make it.                …………………..     

2.    Choose the correct response.

     (A) How about going to the football game on Sunday afternoon?
                (i) No, I’m not.               (ii) That’s right.             (iii) Sure. I’d love to.

      (B) Would you like to go to a movie on Saturday?
                         (i) Oh, sorry. I can’t.       (ii) Nothing special.      (iii) Let’s get together soon.

                  (C) Let’s get together soon.

                      (i) That would be nice.    (ii) Yes, it would.          (iii) When would you like to come? 


ANSWERS:


In the following sentences, is the person speaking, making an invitation (I) or just being friendly (F)? 

(A) Let’s go out sometime.     (F)                                               
(B) How about coming over to watch a D.V.D. on Saturday?   (I)
(C) We will have to get together real soon.       (F)
(D) Please stop by my house anytime.               (I)                   
(E) It’s my birthday on Sunday. Would you like to come to
      my party? It would be great if you could make it.    (I)   

Choose the correct response.

(A)  Could you ask Rita to phone me, please?
       (ii) OK. I’ll tell her.      

      (B) How about going to the football game on Sunday afternoon?
                    (iii) Sure. I’d love to.

      (C) Would you like to go to a movie on Saturday?
                     (i) Oh, sorry. I can’t.
      (D) Let’s get together soon.
                      (i) That would be nice.  




No comments:

Post a Comment