Saturday, October 24, 2015

LEND vs BORROW (Intermediate) (EXERCISE I76E220)














1.      We use lend to say that we give something temporarily with the intention of having it returned:  Can you lend me your car, please?
                      Her father lent her $100.

2.      We use borrow to say that we take something temporarily with the intention of returning it:   Can I borrow your car, please?
                        She borrowed $100 from her father.


                 QUICK RULE: Lend to ……      James lent me $5.
                                        Borrow from ….  I borrowed from James $5.


Fill in the gaps using: lend or borrow.

1.      Could you __________ me some money until the weekend, please?
2.      I must take back the books I ____________ from the library.
3.      Could I _____________ your phone please? My batteries dead.
4.      Who did you ___________ it from?
5.      Who did you _____________ it to?
6.      She asked me if she could __________________ my camera for the party.
7.      She never paid me back the money she ______________ from me.
8.      He _________________ me his car for the weekend.
9.      It’s raining! Could I ______________ an umbrella?
10.  The bank ______________ me the money to buy it.
11.  Can you ____________ me your pen, please?
12.  Do you have a pen I could ______________ from you?
13.  My parents are going to _______________ me some money to buy a house.
14.  I ________________ a lot of money from the bank to buy my house.
15.  John ___________ Mark his tennis racket so that we could play tennis together.
                                                                                                                     
                                                                                                                 
  
ANSWERS

 
Fill in the gaps using: lend or borrow.

1.      Could you lend me some money until the weekend, please?
2.      I must take back the books I borrowed from the library.
3.      Could I borrow your phone please? My batteries dead.
4.      Who did you borrow it from?
5.      Who did you lend it to?
6.      She asked me if she could borrow my camera for the party.
7.      She never paid me back the money she borrowed from me.
8.      He lent me his car for the weekend.
9.      It’s raining! Could I borrow an umbrella?
10.  The bank lent me the money to buy it.
11.  Can you lend me your pen, please?
12.  Do you have a pen I could borrow from you?
13.  My parents are going to lend me some money to buy a house.
14.  I borrowed a lot of money from the bank to buy my house.
15.  John lent Mark his tennis racket so that we could play tennis together.
                                                                                                                    
   TO PRINT

1 comment: