Thursday, January 7, 2016

TELEPHONING - PHRASAL VERBS (Advanced) (EXERCISE A61E237)
















1.    The phrasal verbs below are used for telephoning. Match them with their correct meaning:

(1)     Call back
(2)     Cut off
(3)     Get back to
(4)     Get through
(5)     To hang up
(6)     Hold on
(7)     Look up
(8)     Pick up
(9)     Put through
(10) Speak up

____ make contact
­­____ find
____ contact again later
____ wait
____ talk louder
____ telephone again
____ break contact
____ answer
____ replace the receiver
____ connect


2.    Complete these sentences with  phrasal verbs from exercise one:

(A)   If you don’t know the number you can always ___________ it ___ in the directory.
(B)   _____________ a minute please, I’ll see if she is free.
(C)   It took a long time but eventually I  ________________ to him.
(D)   The switchboard _______________ me ________________ to the manager’s office.
(E)    This is a terrible line. I cannot hear you very well. You have to ______________.
(F)    I do not have the figures. I’ll have to ____________________ you tomorrow.
(G)  I can’t talk now. I’ll _______________ you _______________later.
(H)   He’s on his mobile and the signal is weak. That’s why we keep getting __________.
(I)     When you finish a call you ______________.
(J)     It’s been ringing for ages. I wish she’d ______________ the phone.

3.    Read and practice the following dialogue:

Mr. Brown:  Hello. Can I speak to Mr. Smith please?
Secretary:    Certainly sir. Who shall I say is calling?
Mr. Brown:  Mr. Brown from Brown Transports.
Secretary:    Could you hold the line one moment please Mr. Brown.  
Mr. Brown:  Sure not a problem.
Secretary:    (A short time later...) I am sorry Mr. Brown. Mr. Smith is tied up in a meeting at the         moment. Can he ring you  back when he is free?
Mr. Brown: That would be great. Thank you!

ANSWERS: TELPHONING – PHRASAL VERBS

1.    The phrasal verbs below are used for telephoning. Match them with their correct meaning:

(1)     Call back
(2)   Cut off
(3)   Get back to
(4)   Get through
(5)   To hang up
(6)   Hold on
(7)   Look up
(8)   Pick up
(9)   Put through
(10) Speak up

(4)  make contact
­­(7)  find
(3)  contact again later
(6)   wait
(10) talk louder
(1)   telephone again
(2)   break contact
(8)  answer
(5)  replace the receiver
(9)  connect


(2)  Complete these sentences with  phrasal verbs from exercise one:

(A)   If you don’t know the number you can always look it up in the directory.
(B)   Hold on a minute please, I’ll see if she is free.
(C)   It took a long time but eventually I got through to him.
(D)   The switchboard put me through to the manager’s office.
(E)    This is a terrible line. I cannot hear you very well. You have to speak up.
(F)    I do not have the figures. I’ll have to get back to you tomorrow.
(G)  I can’t talk now. I’ll call you back later.
(H)   He’s on his mobile and the signal is weak. That’s why we keep getting cut off.
(I)     When you finish a call you hang up.
(J)     It’s been ringing for ages. I wish she’d pick up the phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment