Friday, August 19, 2016

INFINITIVES (INTERMEDIATE) (EXERCISE I87E258)


 
The infinitive has two forms:  

* the to-infinitive = to + base                                                  
* the zero infinitive = base



The to-infinitive is used to indicate:   * what something can or will be used for.
                                                             * the purpose or intention of an action.
      * make a comment or judgement.

The zero infinitive after auxiliaries:      * after verbs of perception.
                                             * after the verbs ‘make’ and ‘let’.
                                             * after expression of ‘had better’.
                                             * with ‘why’.
                                                               

1.      Put the words in brackets into the correct form, the infinitive with or without “to”.

(A)   I would love _____________ (meet) your wife.
(B)   I can’t _________________ (see) anything. It’s so dark.
(C)   Janes’ decided _________________ (give) her husband a car for Christmas.
(D)   I will  _____________ (ring) the travel agent.
(E)    Let’s ____________ (go) to Rome for our vacations.
(F)    Could you _______________ (tell) me the time please.
(G)  John forgot _______________ (turn) off the lights when he went to bed.
(H)   I could not _______________ (ride) a bike until I was eight.
(I)     Can you ______________ (help) me? I’d like __________ (buy) a new radio.
(J)     I don’t want _______________ (stay) at home to night.
(K)   I would like _____________ (see) you tomorrow!

2.      Use the words to make sentences or questions.

(A)   I / pleased / meet you. __________________________________.
(B)   it / possible / leave early? _____________________________________________?
(C)   It / impossible / I learn all the words. ____________________________________.
(D)   Japanese / hard /write. _____________________________________.
(E)    English / easy / understand. ___________________________________________.
(F)    It / lovely / see Anna last night. ________________________________________.
(G)  This exercise / not difficult / do.________________________________________.
(H)   I / surprised / hear your news. _________________________________________.


ANSWERS
INFINITIVES

1.       Put the words in brackets into the correct form, the infinitive with or without “to”.

(A)   I would love to meet (meet) your wife.
(B)   I can’t see (see) anything. It’s so dark.
(C)   Janes’ decided to give (give) her husband a car for Christmas.
(D)    I will ring (ring) the travel agent.
(E)    Let’s go (go) to Rome for our vacations.
(F)    Could you tell (tell) me the time please.
(G)  John forgot to (turn) off the lights when he went to bed.
(H)   I could not ride (ride) a bike until I was eight.
(I)     Can you help (help) me? I’d like to buy (buy) a new radio.
(J)     I don’t want to stay (stay) at home to night.
(K)   I would like to (see) you tomorrow!

2.       Use the words to make sentences or questions.

(A)   I / pleased / meet you. I am pleased to meet you.
(B)   it / possible / leave early? Is it possible to leave early?
(C)   It / impossible / I learn all the words. It is impossible to learn all the words.
(D)   Japanese / hard /write. Japanese is hard to write.
(E)    English / easy / understand. English is easy to understand.
(F)    It / lovely / see Anna last night. It was lovely to see Anna last night.
(G)  This exercise / not difficult / do. This exercise is difficult to do.
(H)   I / surprised / hear your news. I was surprised to hear your news.

No comments:

Post a Comment