Thursday, March 23, 2017

WILL vs WOULD (ADVANCED) (EXERCISE A69E270)







We use will:
             to talk about the future – to say what we believe will happen
             to make promises and offers
             to talk about what people want to do or are willing to do
Would:  is the past tense form of will. Because it is a past tense it is used:
             to talk about the past.
             to talk about hypotheses – things that are imagined rather than true.
             for politeness.



Beliefs:
We use will:
• to say what we believe will happen in the future:
    We'll be late.
    We will have to take the train.
We use would as the past tense of will:
• to say what we believed would happen:
    I thought I would be late …… so I would have to take the train.
Offers and promises:
We use I will or We will to make offers and promises:
I’ll give you a lift home after the party.
We will come and see you next week.



Willingness:
  to talk about what people want to do or are willing to do:
      We’ll see you tomorrow.           Perhaps dad will lend me the car.
We use would as the past tense of will:
  to talk about what people wanted to do or were willing to do:
     We had a terrible night. The baby wouldn’t go to sleep. He kept waking up and  crying.
      Dad wouldn’t lend me the car, so we had to take the train.
• to talk about something that we did often in the past because we wanted to do it:
When they were children they used to spend their holidays at their grandmother’s at the seaside. They would get up early every morning and they’d have a quick breakfast then they would run across the road to the beach.



EXERCISE:

Read the sentences and decide whether the gap should be filled with 'will' or 'would'.

(1)   __________________ you mind closing the door ?

(2)   Maybe I _________________ speak to her.

(3)   We __________________ see what happens tomorrow.

(4)   What _________________ you like to eat?

(5)   If I see her I ___________________ let her know.

(6)   She ________________________ speak to me, she was so upset.

(7)   I promise I ___________________________ tell anyone.

(8)   She thought she _________________________ be late, so she took a taxi.

(9)   When I was in the army, we ______________________ get up at 5.30 a.m.
  
ANSWERS

WILL vs WOULD

EXERCISE:


Read the sentences and decide whether the gap should be filled with 'will' or 'would'.

(1)   Would you mind closing the door ?

(2)   Maybe I will speak to her.

(3)   We will see what happens tomorrow.

(4)   What would you like to eat?

(5)   If I see her I will let her know.

(6)   She wouldn’t speak to me, she was so upset.

(7)   I promise I won’t tell anyone.

(8)   She thought she would be late, so she took a taxi.

(9)   When I was in the army, we would get up at 5.30 a.m.




      

No comments:

Post a Comment