Saturday, January 6, 2018

TALKING ABOUT THE PAST (Advanced) (EXERCISE A12E284)















GRAMMAR CHECK:

Used to: An action or habit that was common in the       
               PAST but not anymore.

Use to:  Is used to make a negative sentence using  
              “used”.      
              The “didn’t shows that we are talking about
               the past tense therefore “use to” is used.



1.  Complete the following sentences using one of the answer choices given below each question.

(A) I _____________________________ smoke, but now I have stopped.
           (a) used to         (b) use to      (c) am used to

(B) That auditorium _____________________________ be a cinema. 
                                             (a) use to       (b) used to      (c) was used to

(C)  I ________________________ like opera, but now I don’t.
           (a) used to             (b) use to        (c) am used to

(D)  I ________________________ like western music, but now I do.
            (a) didn’t use to   (b) didn’t used to         (c) use not to

(E) I always _______________________ be afraid of the dark.
                 (a) use to               (b) used to       (c) was used to

(F)  I ______________________ drive a big car.
                 (a) didn’t use to    (b) wasn’t used to     (c) didn’t used to

(G)  I have lived in a big city for ten years, so I ________________________ the noise.
                                                                                                          (a) am used to       (b) used to          (c) am use to

(H)  It took me a long time to _____________________ living in the country.
                (a) get use to         (b) get used to     (c) used to

2.  Put the verbs in the brackets in the “simple past” or “past continuous”.

Last night while I was doing my homework, Angela (call) __________________. She said that she (call) ____________________ me on her cell phone from her biology classroom at her university. I asked her if she (wait) __________________ for class, but she said that the professor was at the front of the room lecturing while she (talk) __________________ to me. I could not believe she (make) ______________________ a phone call during a lecture. I asked her what was going on. She said the professor was very boring and most of the other students (sleeping) ________________________. All of a sudden in the back ground I heard someone yell “Angela!” The phone immediately went dead!


ANSWERS: TALKING ABOUT THE PAST

1.  Complete the following sentences using one of the answer choices given below each question.

(A) I used to smoke, but now I have stopped.
           (a) used to         (b) use to      (c) am used to

(B) That auditorium used to be a cinema. 
                                             (a) use to       (b) used to      (c) was used to

(C)  I used to like opera, but now I don’t.
           (a) used to             (b) use to        (c) am used to

(D)  I didn’t use to like western music, but now I do.
            (a) didn’t use to   (b) didn’t used to         (c) use not to

(E) I always used to be afraid of the dark.
                 (a) use to               (b) used to       (c) was used to

(F)  I didn’t used to driving a big car.
                 (a) didn’t use to    (b) wasn’t used to     (c) didn’t used to

(G)  I have lived in a big city for ten years, so I am used to the noise.
                (a) am used to       (b) used to          (c) am use to

(H)  It took me a long time to get used to living in the country.
                (a) get use to         (b) get used to     (c) used to

2. Put the verbs in the brackets in the simple past or past continuous.

Last night while I was doing my homework, Angela (call) called. She said that she (call) was calling me on her cell phone from her biology classroom at her university. I asked her if she (wait) was waiting for class, but she said that the professor was at the front of the room lecturing while she (talk) was talking to me. I could not believe she (make) was making a phone call during a lecture. I asked her what was going on. She said the professor was very boring and most of the other students (sleeping) were sleeping. All of a sudden in the back ground I heard someone yell “Angela!” The phone immediately went dead!        

No comments:

Post a Comment