Tuesday, July 17, 2018

HEALTH ISSUES ADVANCED (EXERCISE A77E287)












Fill in the blanks with a suitable word from the box below.

body             true               cause          failure               salty               much         point             dates             lead            composed        evidence       varies         which            processes      link             by                      heart

The worry about salt is that it may __________________ high blood pressure. Chemically, salt is ________________________ of sodium and chloride ions, both of ___________________ are common in the human ___________________ and are important for many physiological and biochemical __________________.  We not only need salt, we are salt, but too __________ may still be bad for us. Although the idea of a ___________________ between salt and high blood pressure __________________ back to 2000 B.C., there is still no scientific ___________________ as to whether this is so or not.  One reason for this ________________ to agree is that individual salt intake _____________________ enormously from day to day, and so reliable measures of intake are hard to come _________________.
           Those who believe that salt does ________________ to high blood pressure __________ to the high incidence of high blood pressure in countries that eat a very _______________ diet. In Japan, for instance, where salted fish is an important part of the diet, high blood pressure and _________________ complications are common, the same is ______________ for some Amazonian and African tribes, which have a low intake of salt.
                                                                        Taken from an article in the Observer Magazine by Dr. Richard Smith.

(2) Choose a word from the box below to complete the sentence.

runny        sore     swollen       seedy        dizzy          queasy       feverish             rash

(A)   When I stand up the room seems to be going round. I feel really __________________.
(B)   I’m not in pain but the glands on my neck seem to be ___________________.
(C)   I’ve got a ____________________ nose. I suppose it’s a cold coming on.
(D)   I’ve come out in a ____________________ all over my chest and arms. I am allergic to something.
(E)    It’s like being seasick. I feel ____________________ whenever I move about.
(F)    It’s hard to describe. I just feel generally __________________. Can you prescribe a tonic?
(G)  My throat’s awfully __________________. I hope it’s not tonsillitis.
(H)   I haven’t taken her temperature yet. She seems _____________________.


ANSWERS: 
HEALTH ISSUES

Fill in the blanks with a suitable word from the box below.

body             true               cause          failure               salty               much         point             dates             lead            composed        evidence       varies         which            processes      link             by                      heart

The worry about salt is that it may cause high blood pressure. Chemically, salt is composed of sodium and chloride ions, both of which are common in the human body and are important for many physiological and biochemical processes.  We not only need salt, we are salt, but too much may still be bad for us. Although the idea of a link between salt and high blood pressure dates back to 2000 B.C., there is still no scientific evidence as to whether this is so or not.  One reason for this failure to agree is that individual salt intake varies enormously from day to day, and so reliable measures of intake are hard to come by.
           Those who believe that salt does lead to high blood pressure point to the high incidence of high blood pressure in countries that eat a very salty diet. In Japan, for instance, where salted fish is an important part of the diet, high blood pressure and heart complications are common, the same is true for some Amazonian and African tribes, which have a low intake of salt.
                                                                        Taken from an article in the Observer Magazine by Dr. Richard Smith.

(2) Choose a word from the box below to complete the sentence.

runny        sore     swollen       seedy        dizzy          queasy       feverish             rash

(A)   When I stand up the room seems to be going round. I feel really dizzy.
(B)   I’m not in pain but the glands on my neck seem to be swollen.
(C)   I’ve got a runny nose. I suppose it’s a cold coming on.
(D)   I’ve come out in a rash all over my chest and arms. I am allergic to something.
(E)    It’s like being seasick. I feel queasy whenever I move about.
(F)    It’s hard to describe. I just feel generally seedy. Can you prescribe a tonic?
(G)  My throat’s awfully sore. I hope it’s not tonsillitis.
(H)   I haven’t taken her temperature yet. She seems feverish.



No comments:

Post a Comment