Saturday, February 15, 2014

EXERCISE (84) SAY vs TELL (Intermediate)

SAY / TELL (Intermediate)


Grammar Rule:  Say (said) vs.  Tell (told)
                          
                                     We say something to somebody
                           We tell somebody something
                 

1. Complete with the correct form of say or tell.

(A)  Did you __________ your brother about the party?
(B)  Tina ___________ she was too tired to make a noise.
(C)  It’s top secret. Please don’t _____________ anybody.
(D)  What did the Prime Minister _____________ on T.V. last night?
(E)   The teacher ________________ us not to make a noise.
(F)   Has Catherine _______________ you the news yet? She’s pregnant!
(G)  Don’t _____________ anything about the accident. I don’t want anyone to know.
(H)  Alan ___________ me to phone him tonight.

2. In the following phases, supply either “a”, “an” or “the”.

(A)  I want ________ apple from that tree.
(B)  _______ church on the corner is very progressive.
(C)  I borrowed _________ pencil from your pencil case.
(D)  One of the students said, “_________ teacher will be late today.”
(E)   I brought ________ umbrella to go out into the rain.
(F)   My daughter is learning to play ________ violin at her school.
(G)  “________ apple a day keeps the doctor away!”
(H)  ________ ink in my pen is blue.
(I)     Our neighbors have ________ cat and ________dog.

3. Put the words in the box into the sentences.
  

 often     drink    love       far    favorite    play     watch    starts     clean    sleep      buy    listen


(A)  Do you _____________ TV very much?
(B)  School usually ______________ at nine o’clock.
(C)  They always _____________ their house on Saturdays.
(D)  After I run, I _____________ a lot of water.
(E)   I always ______________ pretty late on Sundays.
(F)   What sports do you __________?
(G)  How ____________ is it to the shops?
(H)  Do you ____________ travel to São Paulo?
(I)     Where can I ____________ a map of the city?
(J)    What is your _____________ color?
(K)  When I drive I always ___________ to the radio.
(L)   I ____________ chocolate.




ANSWERS:

1. Complete with the correct form of say or tell.

(I)     Did you tell your brother about the party?
(J)    Tina said she was too tired to make a noise.
(K)  It’s top secret. Please don’t tell anybody.
(L)   What did the Prime Minister say on T.V. last night?
(M) The teacher told us not to make a noise.
(N)  Has Catherine told you the news yet? She’s pregnant!
(O)  Don’t say anything about the accident. I don’t want anyone to know.
(P)   Alan told me to phone him tonight.

2. In the following phases, supply either “a”, “an” or “the”.

(J)    I want an apple from that tree.
(K)  The church on the corner is very progressive.
(L)   I borrowed a pencil from your pencil case.
(M) One of the students said, “the teacher will be late today.”
(N)  I brought an umbrella to go out into the rain.
(O)  My daughter is learning to play the violin at her school.
(P)   An apple a day keeps the doctor away!”
(Q)  The ink in my pen is blue.
(R)  Our neighbors have a cat and a dog.

3. Put the words in the box into the sentences.
  

 often     drink    love       far    favorite    play     watch    starts     clean    sleep      buy    listen


(M) Do you watch TV very much?
(N)  School usually starts at nine o’clock.
(O)  They always clean their house on Saturdays.
(P)   After I run, I drink a lot of water.
(Q)  I always sleep pretty late on Sundays.
(R)  What sports do you play?
(S)   How far is it to the shops?
(T)   Do you often travel to São Paulo?
(U)  Where can I buy a map of the city?
(V)  What is your favorite color?
(W)When I drive I always listen to the radio.
(X)  I love chocolate.



No comments:

Post a Comment