Friday, September 5, 2014

“IN CASE” OR “IF” (Intermediate) (EXERCISE I42E146)















We use “in case” when we are mostly describing future possible situations.
We use “if “ when we are talking about conditions that apply.

Compare the following and note the differences in meaning.

I'll fill up the car with petrol in case you need to go to Brighton. ( = I'll fill up now, because you might need it later.)

I'll fill up the car with petrol if you need to go to Brighton. ( = Let me know if you need to go to Brighton and then I'll fill up with petrol.)



Complete the sentences with “in case” or “if”.

(1)      We’ll take some chocolate ____________________ we get hungry.
(2)      I go shopping on Monday evening’s __________________ I finish work early.
(3)      I’ll go shopping now___________________ the stores are closed this afternoon.
(4)       Take the spare key ___________________ your brother forgets his.
(5)      Can you drive me to work _____________________ the bus is late?
(6)      She usually arrives late ________________________ the roads are busy.
(7)      I usually set the alarm clock ________________ I don’t wake up at my usual time.
(8)       __________________________ you see John, tell him I have already left.
(9)       Can you lend me some money __________________ the ATM machine is broken?
(10)    I always take a bottle of water _________________________ I get thirsty.
(11)     _______________________ it rains you can use my umbrella.
(12)     Take my umbrella _____________________________ it rains.
(13)      _______________________ I do not have time for lunch, I have a big breakfast.
(14)      I always go to bed early ________________________ I need to get up at 4 a.m.
(15)      I always take my driver’s license __________________ the traffic police stop me.
(16)      What will you do tomorrow ___________________________ it rains?
(17)      Who do call ____________________________ your car breaks down?
(18)      He always carries an extra pen __________________________ he loses one.
(19)        __________________ I do not see you before you travel, here is a small present.
(20)        ______________________ you think you will be late, can you call me please?

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                                                                                                            
ANSWERS

Complete the sentences with “in case” or “if”.

(1)      We’ll take some chocolate in case we get hungry.
(2)      I go shopping on Monday evening’s if I finish work early.
(3)      I’ll go shopping now in case the stores are closed this afternoon.
(4)       Take the spare key in case your brother forgets his.
(5)       Can you drive me to work if the bus is late?
(6)       She usually arrives late if the roads are busy.
(7)       I usually set the alarm clock in case I don’t wake up at my usual time.
(8)       If you see John, tell him I have already left.
(9)       Can you lend me some money if the ATM machine is broken?
(10)      I always take a bottle of water in case I get thirsty.
(11)     If it rains you can use my umbrella.
(12)     Take my umbrella in case it rains.
(13)      In case I do not have time for lunch, I have a big breakfast.
(14)      I always go to bed early if I need to get up at 4 a.m.
(15)      I always take my driver’s license in case the traffic police stop me.
(16)      What will you do tomorrow if it rains?
(17)      Who do call if your car breaks down?
(18)      He always carries an extra pen in case he loses one.
(19)        In case I do not see you before you travel, here is a small present.
(20)        If you think you will be late, can you call me please?
                                                                                                                                                       
               TO PRINT



No comments:

Post a Comment