Saturday, August 22, 2015

SHORT STORY (6) THE MYSTRY SAILOR

THE MYSTRY SAILOR      By Gerard Roch O’Neil         

The moment I motored out past the protection of the headland, I knew I had made a terrible mistake! The waves were much bigger and the wind much stronger than I had expected.

Giving the outboard motor full throttle, I swung the tiller over in an attempt to head back to calmer water.

“Why hadn’t I continued to ride out the storm in the safe heaven I had just left,” I wondered out loud? 

With the wind now “dead on the nose”, forward progress was almost nil.

A whiff of burning rubber floated past!

“Strange? Someone must be burning something on shore,” I reasoned.

Then with a start I realized that the smell could not have been carried so far. It had to be coming from somewhere much closer! Suddenly my heart missed a beat. It could only be coming from one place. I made a desperate drive for the outboard, but was beaten! It coughed, spluttered and then died before I could reach it. Without forward momentum we were quickly blown broadside to the waves and began to be pushed out to open water.

It only took me a few seconds to discover what was wrong with the motor. Some seaweed had been drawn into the cooling pipe causing it to overheat. I soon had the weed cleared, but as the motor was still very hot, I decided to wait for it to cool down a little before restarting it.

As I nervously waited, conditions started to deteriorate. Spray began to fly and waves began to slop onboard. Not daring to wait any longer, I gave the outboard starting cord a sharp pull. Nothing happened. I pulled again. Still nothing! I rested for a moment and then gathering all my strength, pulled with everything I had. There was a loud “BANG” as the cord broke, this was followed a few seconds later by a faint “plop” as part of the starting mechanism fell into the sea and disappeared. For several seconds I stared in disbelief. Slowly my brain began to register my situation. Without an engine it would be impossible to get back to land!

I slumped down in the cockpit and tried to think my situation through. It soon became obvious that the only option open to me was to sail downwind towards an island that lay twenty miles offshore.
“If I could make it that far, then there was a chance I could find shelter behind it,” I tried to convince myself.
The next few hours were perhaps the worst of my life. Huge waves threatened to capsize and sink us at any moment. Windblown spray and rain made it impossible to see more than a few feet in front. Then when things looked as they could not get any worse, they did!  The island finally appeared out of the glum a long way to starboard and to my horror I realized I was going to miss it!
“God help me,” I cried as I saw my objective rapidly passing by!
“HE” must have been listening as to my amazement a few minutes later a strong current began to set us directly towards the islands southernmost tip.

I reached the island just before nightfall. As I sailed past a reef being pounded by heavy seas I spotted a tiny cove just to the right of it. After a few anxious moments I managed to find refuge there and dropped anchor at the base of a sheer cliff. After taking one last look at the intensifying storm seaward, I went below decks and soon fell into an exhausted sleep. I dreamt of waves and spray and death and drowning.

The next day dawned bright and sunny. Outside the cove, the wind was still blowing strongly and a big swell was running, but there was now no longer a cloud in the sky.

By late afternoon I decided that things had calmed down sufficiently for me to make my breakout. Without a motor, my plan was to row my boat to the entrance of the cove and at the first suggestion of wind, raise sail. I had just started to haul in the anchor when a guest of wind blew directly into my sheltered haven. Before I had the chance to do anything else, a second, stronger gust arrived. It whipped the water into little white caps that pushed us dangerously close to a rocky outcrop.  Instead of hauling in more chain, I forced to let extra out! My safe cove was rapidly turning into a dangerous trap. Before long the ocean swell had also discovered our hiding place as well. My anchorage was now a place of agitated water and exposed rock. Without a motor it was impossible for me to escape. It appeared to only be a matter of time before we would be flung against something solid and “smashed to smithereens!”

As I disparately looked at the cliff trying to find a way to scale it if I needed too, I was astonished to hear a voice floating on the wind:
“I am coming in just once. Catch the rope if you can. If you miss it, you will have to swim out to me!”

I swung round to discover the voice belonged to the skipper of a small yacht not much bigger than mine. To have entered the cove in such conditions was either an act of great courage or an act of great madness.

My rescuer maneuvered his boat into position and threw me a rope.  I caught it first time and fastened it to the bow.  The moment it was secure the slack was taken up and I rushed to haul in the anchor. The instant it was off the sea floor we began to move forward. Our escape from the cove seemed guaranteed, and then it happened!  Just as my tow was about to break out into clear water a huge breaker reared up to block my rescuers path. He was sucked into the enormous wave’s base and then disappeared as it broke completely over him in a mass of spray and foam. The tow rope went slack! I just had time to catch my breath and tensed myself for the impact which would now surely come. Suddenly our backward lunge stopped and we began to move forward again.  I opened my eyes to see to my surprise that my rescuer had somehow survived the wave and was now out in clear water. I too was soon free!

My rescuer came along side and introduced himself.  His name was Peter. He told me he had heard a radio report the previous day about a small yacht being blown out to sea in the region. As he was sailing past the island, he had spotted me and suspected that I might be the missing boat.
“I decided to check you out just to make sure everything was OK,” he said smiling. “I think I arrived just in time!”

As the weather forecast was promising the arrival of yet another cold front, Peter suggested we sail back to the mainland together.

With a following wind we made my home port in “double quick time”.

After I had picked up my mooring I invited Peter to berth alongside and then come home to meet my family and stay with us for a few days.  He politely declined my offer, saying he wanted to be back out in open water before the weather changed. With a final wave, he pointed the bow of his yacht towards the darkening horizon. From my vantage point on the breakwater, I watched him until he was swallowed up by the approaching night.

Hours later when I was lying in my snug bed reflecting on the events of the day, I suddenly realized that the only thing I knew about Peter was his first name. I had no idea where he had come from or where he was going. On reflection, however it did not seem to matter. In the short time our paths had crossed, Peter had taught me about the virtues of “selflessness” and “courage”.  A short time later I fell into a deep and blissful sleep.

In the early hours of the morning I was awoken by a violent gust of wind rattling my bedroom window, and soon after it began to rain heavily. The promised cold front was arriving. Just before drifting back to sleep I remembered Peter somewhere out there alone, sailing dark stormy seas. I prayed to the angels to protect and guide him wherever he voyaged.
                                                                                                                                   gerardoneil.blogspot.com.br



No comments:

Post a Comment