Friday, September 11, 2015

ALTERNATIVE WORDS FOR PHRASAL VERBS (Intermediate) (EXERCISE I69E204)














1.       Give an alternative word from the box for the common phrasal verbs in the following sentences.

discussed     dropped      learn     stopped     stop     arrived      extinguish     investigating    invented       consider

(A)   I gave up smoking years ago!    ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­______________________
(B)   Well that is my final offer. Why don’t you think it over for a few days? __________
(C)   I’ve talked the matter over with my husband and we have decided to accept your offer. _____________________
(D)   The police are looking into the company records. _______________
(E)    They have decided to call off the strike. ______________
(F)    He turned up half an hour late for his appointment. __________________
(G)  Please put out your cigarettes before entering the library. ______________
(H)   I found it reasonably easy to pick up enough Spanish to get by with. ____________
(I)     It was obvious he was making up the facts as he went along. _____________
(J)     Numbers in the class have fallen off recently. ___________________

2.       Put crosses on the following grid to show which particle the verbs can be combined with.

     
in
down
off
on
out
up
Carry


X
X
X

Cut






Fill






Give






Hand






Make






Pay






Turn







3.    Complete the first part of the phrasal verbs. Use each verb in the box only once.


get       give   hurry     pick      stand     tidy      wake

James and I want to ___________________ up smoking.
Could you  ___________________ me up at 6 o'clock?
We must  _____________________  up or we will miss the bus.
Can you _____________________  me up at the station?
In many countries, the pupils have to ______________________  up when the teacher enters the class-room.
I usually have to _______________________  up at half past six.
I must _______________________  up my room today.
                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                   
ANSWERS:

ALTERNATIVE WORDS FOR PHRASAL VERBS

1.       Give an alternative word from the box for the common phrasal verbs in the following sentences.

discussed     dropped      learn     stopped     stop     arrived      extinguish     investigating    invented       consider

(A)   I gave up smoking years ago!    ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­stopped
(B)   Well that is my final offer. Why don’t you think it over for a few days?    consider
(C)   I’ve talked the matter over with my husband and we have decided to accept your offer.     discussed
(D)   The police are looking into the company records.     investigating
(E)    They have decided to call off the strike.    stop
(F)    He turned up half an hour late for his appointment.    arrived
(G)  Please put out your cigarettes before entering the library.   extinguish
(H)   I found it reasonably easy to pick up enough Spanish to get by with.  learn
(I)     It was obvious he was making up the facts as he went along.    invented
(J)     Numbers in the class have fallen off recently.   dropped

2.       Put crosses on the following grid to show which particle the verbs can be combined with.

     
in
down
off
on
out
up
Carry


X
X
X

Cut
X
X
X

X
X
Fill
X



X
X
Give
X

X

X
X
Hand
X
X

X
X
X
Make


X

X
X
Pay


X

X
X
Turn
X
X
X
X
X
X


3.    Complete the first part of the phrasal verbs. Use each verb in the box only once.
                              
get       give   hurry     pick      stand     tidy      wake

James and I want to give up smoking.
Could you  wake me up at 6 o'clock?
We must  hurry  up or we will miss the bus.
Can you pick me up at the station?
In many countries, the pupils have to stand up when the teacher enters the class-room.
I usually have to get up at half past six.
I must tidy up my room today.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment