Saturday, October 17, 2015

THE JOY OF DISCONNECTING (Advanced) (LESSON A13L14)




Many years ago I watched a western movie about two cowboys reluctant to accept change. Their dream was to ride the wide open prairies forever, but the advance of technology was threatening to destroy their lifestyle.  This advance in technology came in the form of the railroad. As the railroad pushed its way west the trains that rode the tracks carried barbed wire which in turn was used to fence and divide the prairies.

Throughout the film, the two stock hands travel continually westward, always one step ahead of the railroad, until in the last scene of the film they ride over the crest of a hill only to discover the wide expanse of the Pacific Ocean in front of them.  

As they are discussing their options, the whistle of a train can be heard blowing behind them. In response one of the cowboys turns back to face the ocean and asks his companion, if trains exist in China!

As I write this I am feeling a little like the cowboys, but instead of outrunning the railroad, I am outrunning the internet.

Like most people I spend hours connected to the web each day, (some might say I am addicted to it). I have always been a little smug about my ability to disconnect without withdrawal symptoms however, as each month my wife and I visit her elderly parents on their isolated farm in the mountains where there is no internet or cell phone coverage.

For those two or three days per month that I am not connected I re-experience something of the simplicity of life I once knew. Watching birds flying in and out of the bushes in the front garden seems to have a greater importance than watching the day's stock exchange movements on the web.

Likewise, being woken at two by the farm dog alerting that a rabbit has just entered the vegetable garden seems to be much more important than attending one of my clients who insists on sending me WhatsApp messages at two in the morning and then expects an immediate reply. Then there are all the things my father-in-law likes to teach me while we sit on the veranda watching the sunset. He likes to study the sky and tell me his weather predictions (which are usually much more accurate than the weather forecasts I receive via cyberspace), or about how the way a certain bird is singing indicates that the harvest will be plentiful.

I suspect my few days of “internet-free bliss” each month may soon be coming to an end however. The nearest neighbor has just connected to the web and the internet company has launched a concerted campaign to convince my parents-in-law to connect as well (even though they don’t even have a computer).

Last weekend as we travelled back from the farm and returned to "civilisation" (defined today as the point one has mobile phone coverage and one’s phone joyfully returns to life emitting undelivered messages), my wife and I turned to each other and both asked the same question at the same time: "Is it really necessary to be always connected?"

Originally published by Fairfax Media: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/assignments/does-technology-make-our-lives-better/9608820/The-joy-of-disconnecting

COMPREHESION CHECK

(1)    What was the cowboys dream?
(2)    What represented the advance of technology for the cowboys?
(3)    Why does the author feel a “little smug” in relation to technology?
(4)    What does the author do on his parents-in-laws farm while he is off line?
(5)    Where does the author define the “limit of civilization”?


Some reader comments in response to the above article.

Lbbillib
While I have a PC and am connected, we have no cell phones and when TV went digital in our area, we opted out given the crap which passes for "Entertainment"­. Consequently, we now have ample time to communicate with one another and engage in spending time walking and smelling the roses. Reading too has regained its former favoured status.
Nothing has been lost in the process; in fact I would venture to suggest that much has been gained instead!
Melcraig
I am known among my circle to be 'bad' or 'useless' with my mobile phone because I apparently don't answer text messages promptly enough.
HumanPower
It wasn't so long ago when everyone didn't have mobile phones or internet, how did we cope? We made plans in advance, "see you at the pub on Friday at 6ish", or a phone call was all it took. These days, a massive series of tweets or txts or facebook conversations before the event, instagram photos or FB posts of what is being eaten or drunk during the event, and later on "comments" and "likes" of the photos or posts from only a few hours prior.
Roswell
I regularly disconnect. I go tramping or go bush for a few days and its bliss. I also have a habit of turning my cellphone off which annoys some people, sometimes I turn it off for the whole weekend *shock horror*




DavidM
As for mobile phones and the ever increasing complexity and ridiculously small buttons , Forget it. I enjoy my life without very many "friends" who might want to pester me with trivial rubbish at all hours. Time to get on with life, and do the things with one’s partner that I want to do, and not be at the beck and call of every Tom, Dick, and Harry!  My mobile phone that I use about twice a year is mainly for "emergencies'.  It sits most of the time unused at the bottom of my day pack.




(1)     What points are the commenters making in the following statements?

(A)              Lbbillib:  …… when TV went digital in our area, we opted out given the crap
                              which passes for "Entertainment".

(B)               Roswell:  sometimes I turn it off for the whole weekend *shock horror*.

(C)               DavidM:  I enjoy my life without very many "friends" who might want to pester
                               me with trivial rubbish at all hours.

(D)              DavidM:  …….. and not be at the beck and call of every Tom, Dick, and Harry!


(2)   Match the following technological developments with the category they belong too. (You may add to the lists with your own examples).


3D   windup watch    radiogram     automatic watch    tape recorder   valve radio   MP3     YouTube     transistor radio    MP4    video cassette      floppy disk      DVD    black and white    4K     the cloud      pen drive     color     Cd       digital        3” diskette     battery watch   net flicks   i-watch     remote control       cable     LED    digital watch    CD player    


Listening to music
Television
Telling the time
Information storage



















     
ANSWERS

COMPREHESION CHECK

(1)    What was the cowboys dream?

Their dream was to ride the prairies forever. In doing this they would do exactly the same thing they had always been doing. Their lives would not change. 

(2)    What represented the advance of technology for the cowboys?
The railroad and barbed wire.

(3)    Why does the author feel a “little smug” in relation to technology?
He can escape from it when he wants.

(4)    What does the author do on his parents-in-laws farm while he is off line?
Contemplate nature and talk.

(5)    Where does the author define the “limit of civilization”?
The limit of cell phone coverage.

EXERCISE

(1)    What points are the commenters making in  the following statements?

(A)         Lbbillib:  …… when TV went digital in our area, we opted out given the crap
                              which passes for "Entertainment".

            The commentator thinks “free to view” television is of very poor quality. In fact
            quality of programing is so bad that they no  longer have a television capable of
             receiving the “free  to view” signal.   

(B)         Roswell:  Sometimes I turn it off for the whole weekend *shock horror*.

For many Roswell’s ability to turn off his cell phone is an action totally out of the ordinary. They are shocked he has the courage to do this. Such an action is not perceived to being a good idea. What if someone wanted to make contact with him in an emergency?

(C)         DavidM:  I enjoy my life without very many "friends" who might want to pester
                               me with trivial rubbish at all hours.

David prefers to have just a few “real” friends rather than the hundreds of internet (false) friends many people have. His real friends have a meaningful relationship with him, respecting his time and space.

   
(E)    DavidM:  …….. and not be at the beck and call of every Tom, Dick, and Harry!

The phrase "every Tom, Dick and Harry" means multiple unspecified people. David is saying he does not need to be available to every unimportant person who wants to make contact with him.

EXERCISE

(2)   Match the following technological developments with the category they belong too.

 3D   windup watch    radiogram     automatic watch    tape recorder   valve radio   MP3     YouTube     transistors    MP4    video cassette      floppy disk      DVD    black and white    4K     the cloud      pen drive     color     Cd       digital        3” diskette     battery watch   net flicks   i-watch     remote control       cable     LED    digital watch    CD player   clock



Listening to music
Television
Telling the time
Information storage

valve radio, transistor radio, radiogram,
tape recorder,
CD Player, 
MP3,
MP4  













black and white, color,
remote control,  digital,
3D,
YouTube,
 video cassette, DVD,
 4K,
cable, 
LED,
streaming

clock,
windup watch, battery watch, automatic watch, digital watch,
i-watch.   

3” diskette,
floppy disk,
the cloud,
pen drive


No comments:

Post a Comment