Monday, February 24, 2014

TELEPHONE VOCABULARY (Intermediate) (EXERCISE I18E89)





Useful telephone vocabulary and phrases in English



►Making contact


Hello/Good morning/Good afternoon ..
This is John Brown speaking.
Could I speak to .......... please?
I'd like to speak to .......... please. 
I'm trying to contact ..........
     

►Giving more information

    
I'm calling from Tokyo/Paris/New York/Sydney
I'm calling on behalf of  (Mr. X ...)


Taking a call

X speaking
Can I help you?


Asking for a name/information

Who's calling please?
Who's speaking?
Where are you calling from?
Are you sure you have the right number/name?


Asking the caller to wait

Hold the line please
Could you hold on please
Just a moment please


►Connecting

Thank you for holding
The line's free now  ..... I'll put you through
I'll connect you now / I'm connecting you now.


►Giving negative information

I'm afraid the line's engaged.   Could you call back later?
I'm afraid he's in a meeting at the moment
I'm sorry.  He's out of the office today / He isn't in at the moment.
I'm afraid we don't have a Mr/Mrs/Miss ... here
I'm sorry.  There's nobody here by that name.
Sorry.  I think you've dialled the wrong number
            I'm afraid you've got the wrong number.


   ►Telephone problems

The line is very bad.  Could you speak up please?
Could you repeat that please?
I'm afraid I can't hear you.
Sorry.  I didn't catch that.  Could you say that again please?


Leaving/taking a message
 

Can I leave/take a message?
Would you like to leave a message?
Could you give him/her a message?
Could you ask him/her to call me back?
Would you like him/her to call you back?
Could you tell him/her that I called?
Could you give me your name please?
Could you spell that please?
What's your number please?

No comments:

Post a Comment